Published on October 31st, 2014 | by Black Friday Mattress0
2014 Black Friday Mattress Shopping Tips
If you are in need of a new bed, this year’s Black Friday mattress deals can offer significant savings but knowing what to look for is important.
Many retailers will be offering sales, but not every discount represents a good deal. It is also wise to go in with a game plan, not to compromising on comfort just to save. In this guide, we will offer a few tips and helpful Black Friday mattress shopping strategies to help readers sleep better for the holidays and years to come.
Black Friday Mattress Shopping Guide
Knowing when to look, what to look for, how to shop and what questions to ask can make all the difference when it comes to buying a new bed in general, but prove especially helpful when Black Friday mattress shopping. Keep these tips in mind to score a good deal that will make your wallet and your back happy.
Don’t Wait Until Black Friday to Research
If you are planning on a buying a new bed during 2014 Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, start deciding what brand or at least what type of bed you prefer now.
You don’t have to commit to buy yet, just get a good idea of what is out there and which type of mattresses will meet your preferences. If you know for sure you want a latex or memory foam mattress, for example, it will make it considerably easier to filter deals and focus on relevant sales.
If you aren’t sure which type of bed is right for you, do some research online, compare pros and cons, read mattress reviews, and take some test-drives.
Start Shopping Early
One of the best ways to have a less stressful Black Friday mattress shopping experience and to come away with a good deal is to start scouting out savings early. Good places to find these promotions include ad scan sites like this one, BlackFriday.info, newspapers, coupon websites, retailer newsletters, and other deal-focused blogs and websites.
Many retailers will begin posting their ads up to 3 weeks before Thanksgiving, or at least in the week leading up to Black Friday. Once you’ve narrowed down the brands or type of bed you are focusing on it, it is easier to scan ads for matches.
Make an ongoing list of stores, beds and prices that interest you for easy comparison as Black Friday nears so you aren’t rushed and pressured at the last minute.
Shop Around In-Stores & Online
As when shopping for any item, it is always wise to contrast a variety of options to see how retailers compare on price and quality. When shopping for Black Friday deals on mattresses, the same holds true.
See what your local retailers and department stores are offering, but don’t forget to compare their deals to online retailers as well. Key things to contrast include pricing, detailed mattress specifications (like coil count, foam density, or latex type depending on what you are looking for), warranty and return guarantees, shipping and delivery, included items, and owner reviews.
Keep in mind that online brands face stiffer competition, and thus may have better Black Friday mattress deals to attract shoppers.
Ask These Key Questions
- What are the specifications of the mattress materials?
- For Innersprings: coil count, coil type, density of foam layers, thickness of each layer, padding type, ticking fabric, fire protection method, depth of sagging before warranty kicks in
- For Memory Foam: memory foam density, core foam density, thickness and material of each layer, memory foam type, fire protection method, cover material, depth of impressions before warranty kicks in
- For Latex: latex composition (natural or synthetic blend), latex type (talalay or dunlop), material of any other layers, fire protection method, cover material, depth of impressions before warranty kicks in
- For Adjustable Bases: motor type, control type, features (massage, zero gravity etc), battery backup, weight capacity, wall hugging design, mechanical/electronic warranty coverage
- How long will this bed be on sale, and what are the terms of the sale?
- Is delivery included? If not how much is it?
- How long do I have to return the mattress? Are there any fees or restrictions?
- What is the full coverage warranty period?
- Where can I read real reviews for this mattress?
- Is this a promotional model? (Sometimes brands put out cheap, lower-quality doorbuster deals just to get people’s attention.)
Don’t Forget Cyber Monday
If you have too many gifts to buy to deal with mattress shopping on Black Friday, many retailers do extend home goods purchases throughout the weekend. If you see a deal you like, check to see the offer’s expiration date and whether or not quantities are limited. Online retailers also offer special deals on Cyber Monday that you can shop at your leisure after the busy weekend.
Black Friday Mattress Shopping Sans Stress
Keep in mind these tips and tricks holiday shopping and you should come away with a good deal and mattress more likely to make you happy. Don’t go into mattress shopping blind, as there are many different levels of quality and value, and feeling pressured or rushed can result in buyer’s remorse (which affects up to 40% of shoppers according to Consumer Reports!).
Do some research before hand, narrow your focus, compare a variety of deals, don’t forget to ask about the basics, and you can sleep easy with Black Friday Mattress deals in 2014.